This week I had a difficult time coming up with something that could adequately fit the theme. I initially tried drawing abstract images that really captured the essence of ambiguity so much so that I myself didn't even know how to interpret it. I didn't really resonate with the images and found myself feeling uninspired by them. 

    I decided to try and pursue the themes and goals of this week in what I love; food. These three images both resonated with me and were able to touch upon some of the themes and techniques mentioned in the reading. "All things exist in interactions with other things." (Lupton/Phillips 98)


                                


This image utilizes the concept of negative and positive space, with the white background being the negative space and the toast and fruit being the figure and foreground. It also utilizes the six models of grouping, the fruit implies similarity and simplicity, proximity is represented by the arrangement of the food, closure is represented by the physicality of the figures, continuity is manifested by the succession of fruit on each piece of toast, and symmetry is implied by the arrangement. 

This image of Dogana coffee utilizes many elements in the six models of grouping as well. Namely, continuity with the way the whipped coffee flows into the milk. additionally, here we see juxtaposition with milk and coffee. 


Finally, this image weighs heavily on juxtaposition and symmetry. We see juxtaposition in the dark tea and vibrant yellow soup. and we see symmetry in the positioning of all the figures in the image. 


All images by me on Instagram



Comments

  1. Wow all those food look so good! I think you did a great job applying the reading to the images. I especially love your last image because of the contrast with all the dishes and even the marble table. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your connection between food and the Gestalt principle is such a unique take -- the juxtaposition of the whipped caffeine starkly separated form the milk in the second picture is so good! Makes me want a second cup of coffee. I enjoy the symmetry in the last picture as well. Fun take on the reading! I also resonate in the difficult of navigating the Gestalt principles this week. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your take on this weeks concept! All of this makes me hungry! I really liked the coffee picture. It is simple yet effective for the theme. I also really liked the quote you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really important to create art from inspiration otherwise it often turns out meaningless. All the food looks absolutely delicious and it successfully made me crave some french toast with fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mathew Larosiliere's Introduction